Officially opened on 19 July 2012, Waterfall Cafe is the latest dining concept at Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore. I am invited by the folks at Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore to attend a masterclass by Chef de Cuisine Stephane Cocu. The 3 courses masterclass are dishes available in Waterfall Cafe's menu crafted by Chef Stephane that embraces the quality of eating well.
Being a true advocate of healthy dining, Chef Stephane ensures that all products are sourced from sustainable origins and are free from hormones, pesticides and antibiotics.
Nestled amidst 15 acres of lush, tropical greenery, Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore's new Waterfall Cafe offers healthy yet creative dishes inspired by Mediterranean flavours.
With its eclectic, colonial interiors lies a treasure trove of fresh, seasonal produce and gourmet merchandise.
Wine lovers will be mesmerised by Waterfall Cafe's rare and focused selection of wines from the Mediterranean. Twenty-two wines are served by the glass. An impressive collection of aperitifs, sherries and grappa tops the extensive beverage menu. In line with Waterfall Cafe's commitment towards sustainability, the soft drinks selection included organic Phoenix brand of sodas from New Zealand.
Chef de Cuisine Stephane Cocu delights discerning palates with his mastery in blending herbs, smoked salts, vinegars and exotic spices. There are currently 41 spice blends in the catalog and these can be purchased at the cafe.
Check out the private room of Waterfall Cafe. The private room comes with a fully equipped cooking studio. Our masterclass was conducted in the private room. How cool is it?
The Cooking Studio inside the private room.
Chef Stephane preparing the first dish.
Up close and personal with Chef Stephane's masterclass. Chef Stephane's prepared 3 wonderful dishes which I will be sharing the recipes in this post.
Watermelon and Tomato Salad with Mint, Arugula, Olives and Red Onion.
- 100g Fresh Tomato
- 100g Fresh Watermelon
- 20g Aragula Salad
- 15g Black olive (pitted)
- 40g Parmesan cheese
- 25g Olive oil
- 30g Red onion (sliced)
- 5g Fresh mint
- 2g Fresh basil
- 15g Honey vinegar
1. Cut watermelon into cubes of 1 cm each. Slice sherry vine tomatoes into quarters. Chop fresh mint. Slice pitted black olives and red onions.
2. To make the crispy parmesan cheese cracker, begin by preheating oven to 150 degree Celsius. Spread parmesan cheese until it becomes a nice, blond colour. Remove it and let it cool so that it will get crispy.
3. In a mixing bowl, throw in watermelon cubes, tomatoes, chopped fresh mint, olives and onions. Season with 10g of honey vinegar, 15g of olive oil, whole grain mustard. Add in salt and pepper as preferred. Set aside for later use.
4. In a soup plate, season arugula salad with the remaining oil and honey vinegar. Line the plate with arugula salad before placing the mixture from step 3 on the salad.
5. Garnish salad with crispy parmesan cheese cracker.
- If the watermelon is not sweet, you may add honey as preferred.
Watermelon and Tomato Salad 4.5/5
A refreshing salad that is well balanced with flavours and textures.
Atlantic Cod on Barley Risotto, Pequillo Peppers and Vadouvan Emulsion.
- 150g Fresh cod fish
- 50g Organic barley
- 30g Pequillo pepper
- 30cl White wine
- 30g White onion
- 100g Heavy cream
- 100g Milk
- 5g "Vadouvan" spice blend
- 5tbsp Olive oul
- 1tbsp Butter
- 1/2 Lime
- A zest orange
- A zest Lemon
- Salt and pepper
1. Dice white onion into 3mm thick.
2. In a large pot, suet diced onions with 3 tablespoons of olive oil and fresh butter until onions are tender and colourless.
3. Add barley to pot and suet for 2 minutes. While stirring the mixture, pour in white wine and let it boil until the wine has evaporated completely. Next, cover the mixture with water.
4. Season barley with salt and pepper as preferred. Add a zest of orange and lemon and continue to stir the risotto as it cooks. When the liquid has almost evaporated and risotto is still too "al dente", you can add a bit of water and let it cook again until the barley becomes tender.
5. Boil milk and heavy cream. Add "Vadouvan" spice blend, salt and pepper and let it infuse for 30 minutes. The sauce should turn to a strong yellow colour. Add lime juice.
6. Split pequillo pepper into half and remove the seeds. Cut them into triangles and set aside for later use.
7. In a non-stick pan, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Using low heat, sear cod fish on one side until it turns dark blod with a crispy exterior. Flip fish over and turn off the flame. Leave fish to cook in the pan for 2 to 3 minutes before removing it.
8. In a pasta bowl, put barley risotto and place fish on top. Spread warm triangular pequillo peppers on fish. Drizzle sauce over the dish and serve.
For a big piece of cod fish, you may slice it into 1cm thick so it cooks better.
Atlantic Cod on Barley Risotto 4.5/5
An interesting and healthy substitute using barley to make risotto. Another well executed dish with a good balance of flavours and texture.
Warm Flourless Valrhona Chocolate Cake, Berry Compote and Bourbon Vanilla Ice Cream
- 90g Dark chocolate
- 33g Water
- 50g Sugar
- 60g Butter
- 2 Egg
1. Prepare a pot to boil water and sugar.
2. Add chocolate to a mixing bowl and set aside for later use. Dice butter to soften it.
3. When the water and sugar has boiled, pour them into the mixing bowl with chocolate. Stir well until the chocolate melts completely. Next, add in butter, bit by bit.
4. Crack an egg into the mixture and stir well. Repeat this step for the other egg.
5. Set the mixture aside so that it gets thicker. Meanwhile, pre-heat oven at 160 degree Celsius. Using a brush, oil your pastry ring (or ramequin, if preferred)
6. Pour the mixture into the pastry ring until it is 2/3 filled and bake it for 15 minutes.
7. Let the cake cool for 5 minutes before you serve it warm with a scoop of bourbon vanilla ice cream.
- The cake has to be shiny when you remove it from the pan. This means that the inside is still soft.
- You may prepare the chocolate cake a day in advance and heat it up before serving.
- For this cake, the dark chocolate used has to be at 70% so that it pairs well with the sweetness of the sorbet and sugar.
Warm Flourless Valrhona Chocolate Cake 4/5
A simple, easy and lovely dessert. I am not a great fan for overly sweet dessert but Chef Stephane's valrhona chocolate cake is nicely balanced with a scoop of delish bourbon banilla ice cream.
For exclusive dining deals from Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore, visit the online dining reservations webpage at http://www.shangri-la.com/singapore/shangrila/dining/. Simply browse to the restaurant which you wish to dine at and click on 'Book a table' tab to see the available offers.
Over the last 20 years, Chef Stephan's talents have been recognised by many Michelin-starred establishments, such as Le Crayeres in Reims, Restaurant Comme Chez Soi in Brussels and Restaurant Daniel in New York. Chef Stephane arrived in Singapore in 2011, prior to which he opened his own restaurant. L'Olivier, in Montpellier, France, in 2009. He started his culinary journey in 1992, as an apprentice in Auberge du Moulin de Chameron, France.
Shangri-La Hotel, Singapore
22 Orange Grove Road
Tel: +65 62134138
Nearest MRT: Orchard (NS Line)
630am - 11am (breakfast)
11am - 12pm, 3pm - 6pm (light snack)
12pm - 3pm (lunch)
6pm - 1030pm (dinner)
1) Alight at Orchard MRT station. Take Exit B. Transfer to hotel shuttle bus. Journey time about 15 minutes. (Shuttle bus at 1h interval)
2) Alight at Orchard MRT station. Take Exit E. Walk towards Wheellock Place via ION. Exit Wheellock Place and turn left towards Liat Tower. Cross the road at the traffic light junction and turn left towards Royal Thai Embassy. Walk down to the end of Orchard Road. Turn right onto Orange Grove Road. Walk to destination. Journey time about 23 minutes.